My blogosphere friend Marcy wrote about a nasty car accident she witnessed. Her last words sent out a powerful message. 

Be kind.
Drive like you care about life.
Wear your seatbelt.

I commute daily for an hour each way, to work and back. I share the ride with Mitchell, as we work “on the way” to each other. He works closer to home and after I drop him off, I enrol in a busy maze, finding my way to the office. On a daily basis, I witness crazy drivers and in-a-fucking-hurry drivers that make it unpleasant for the rest of us. This causes more traffic and enables other drivers to engage in bullying behaviour. It really infuriates me!

Way too many people take life for granted… Being alive is such a fragile state of being…

I will share my own experience…driving with myself, and mother nature…


The seat belt saved my life!

December 20th 2013, 4:30 in the afternoon and already pitch black.

They were calling for a nasty freezing rain storm and it started early.

It was a Friday, and I was on my way back home from picking up Amazon deliveries from the post office (across the border in Buffalo, NY). It was normal for me to be on my way back around that time. I was bringing back Christmas gifts and personal purchases.

We were driving northbound on a side road at crawling speeds because of rain and possible black ice ahead. I remember I was thinking about it and planning my next steps after I get home. “Feed the chickens quickly and head back out to pick up Mitchell before it gets out of control. The dogs will have to wait for food until we get back.

At one point, I had to turn left. As I touched the gas to merge into the left turning lane, the front tire caught on black ice… Within a fraction of a second, the car started veering left. I was scared I would hit incoming traffic, so I pulled the wheel gently right and tried to gain back control of the car. I was headed for the people ahead of me, who slowed down (and stopped) when realising what was going on. I did the same maneuver and after I turned the wheel back left, the car spun around and I was facing southbound. Just when I thought that was it, I gained back control and I was stopped, the soft shoulder pulled the tire outward and into the ditch.

I thank God that I was alone in the car because I landed upside down with the whole passenger side ruined. The metal was all squished in and the windows were all broken (the ditch was lined with big rocks for better draining). My last view of the incident was the farm fence I was going to hit and thought it would cost me so much to get it fixed. Luckily, I did not hit the fence.

In the process of rolling over, my whole body followed the way the car was headed and when the air bag was deployed it missed my face. Also, my head was not banged onto anything. It took me a few seconds to collect myself and understand what had happened. I had to close my eyes to better “see” the position I was in and free myself from the seat belt (which was absolutely tight on my chest).

As I got out, I noticed people at the side of the road watching in disappear.

Is anybody hurt? Emergency is on its way!

Please get away from the car!

Stop moving so much… you’re in shock!

Something told me I had to put the car in park and turn it off right away… And I kept looking for my cell phone. I had to call my dad to come get me… I did, and as I was pacing up and down, trying to explain what happened, and that he had to come get me right away, I started crying. Hearing my dad saying “everything will be ok. I’m coming” made me realise I can’t be breaking down like that. I took a deep breath and walked up to the side of the road. A lady and her daughter came to my side and asked if I knew where I was, if anything hurt and if I hit my head. I assured her I was ok and I did not hit my head.

The fire marshall happened to drive by on his way to the station. He checked me over visually and asked to go sit in his truck and out of the rain. There were a lot of accidents reported around the area. Even the ambulance was doing rounds. They took me inside, up on the stretcher I went, and they started their meticulous examination. The adrenaline was rushing through and I was a complete chatter box. They were very happy to see that I was “with them” and unharmed. After I saw pictures of the car, I understood why.

The police officer dispatched at the scene took my statement and told me what was to follow. He said I was on my way to the hospital and the car will be towed away to a body shop. I begged him to wait for my dad and Mitchell and to allow the car to be towed to my house. I was 10 minutes away from home and the car was full of valuable items. He agreed to it.

I arrived at the hospital for the routine accident check-over and they released me shortly after.

My grandmother said “someone up there watched over you“. She really believes it was my grandfather. I never met him, but I think of him every so often.


Please buckle up! 90% of accidents happen within a few miles from home… 


PS. the Amazon items survived the ordeal too. Some damaged outside packaging, but nothing too big.